Wow! Friday again! It's time for Friday Finds. Come on over to Kim's blog today and see what kind of great goodies everyone has found/discovered this week.
Last year while processing my poppy photos I discovered I could bring a lot of detail out in the petals. In Lightroom in the HSL panel I decreased the saturation of the red slider and increased the luminance of the red slider. This seemed satisfactory. In some photos decreasing the luminance worked better. So a made a preset called Red Poppy Fix.
Last week as I watched photos "loading" they would change after a brief second to more saturated. It was more obvious with the poppies so that got me to thinking. (I import mine with 'minimal' previews so it takes a couple seconds.) Thinking about color space and camera calibration that is. I knew my camera was set to Adobe RGB. So I took a couple shots with it set that way and then changed it to sRGB. I really couldn't tell any difference. (I may have moved around to much to have let the light be accurate though.) I decided this didn't prove anything but I was trying to cover all my bases.
This is what my camera was set to as far as Picture Style goes.
If you click on the arrows you'll see more choices.
OK, more detail is showing up but the color is poor.
Here is Camera Standard. It looks like more detail is showing than Adobe Standard, so perhaps I should use this as default? For some reason I switched it back to Adobe Standard to finish editing.
I stumbled across a preset that made the poppies extremely dark but the detail was awesome. So I made adjustments in the HSL Panel to get this.
If that's not enough, let's add a slight Split Tone for a slight change.
Here are a few more shots with the HSL and split tone applied. It makes dark rich lovely red, but you can tweak it to your hearts content and save your own version of this preset.
After, with a few additional adjustments:
After all this playing around I decided to recheck the Camera Profile settings and found Adobe Standard still looked the best after edits. Perhaps I should have started with Camera Standard to see where that would have taken me.
Now if I had time to dig some worms I would have finished off with them.
Hope this was thought provoking as you're shooting some red this summer. And I challenge you to give this this a try on some of your red shots.
Have a great weekend!