Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Be Still 52_Unique Vessels

Week 47 of Be Still 52... Unique vessels.
Mine is my great-grandmother's hair receiver. I only put petals in it rather than use it for a 'vase'.

This is what wikipedia had to say about antique hair receivers...

hair receiver is a small pot, with a hole in the lid, kept on the dressing table in the Victorian era to store hair removed from brushes and combs. The hair was recycled in a number of ways—notably for stuffing small bags, about 8–10 centimetres (3–4 in) across, called ratts, used to bulk out women's hairstyles. Human hair was also used for stuffing pincushions and small furnishing cushions.
It was often paired with a matching trinket box or a powder jar or as part of a dressing table set, made mainly from porcelain, though glass, metal, and celluloid were also used.
kk_lightandairypastel

kk_moodswing

I badly wanted to texture this one for a change. kk_waterfront14 and kk_avery texture.

kk_Still

kk_moodswing


My own preset aptly called Faded Peonies.


Lensbaby Velvet 56
Here's one from earlier, still on the plant. I meant to count the flowers this year. They gave and gave. The last three are withering in the vase right now.

I have the pleasure of doing a guest post for Focusing on Life today. Won't you join me over there? I give some photography examples of 'shooting through'.

Linking up with Kim for Texture Tuesday.
Kim Klassen dot com

10 comments:

  1. What a pretty hair receiver, definitely a unique vessel! Your peonies are gorgeous and a perfect color match for the decoration on the container.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of a hair receiver but this one is beautiful! And the posies you've chosen to put in them are perfect. All the photos are lovely. And it's so darned much fun playing with presets, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of a hair receiver either ! But how lovely it is and a great treasure I'm sure. I LOVE your peony photos and especially your Faded Peonies preset !

    ReplyDelete
  4. A hair receiver is a new one to me, too! I love all the purple in these photos. And the old shutter (?) with the peeling paint. These are all lovely images!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your texture one, some just needs or screams texture and gorgeous. Love the one with the bud hanging down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Really fantastic shots. I think I especially love the ones with your own preset. You have such a talent for getting those up close and interesting angle ones. Love checking in on your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roxi - your images are stunning....every single one! Your editing choices are spectacular! I must replace my lost peonies!
    (visiting from Texture Tuesday - http://cherylmccainphotography.com/texture-tuesday-iris-in-macro/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. forgot to say.....thanks for the explanation of a hair receiver.....fascinating!

      Delete
  8. Such a beautiful display of peonies. Don't you just love working with these presets?

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate all your comments. Have a blessed day!