Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Officially Winter in Texas

Winter arrived in Lubbock Texas as we arrived home from a last minute Christmas trip to the Dakotas. It was a winter wonderland ready for the capture.

I noticed a few things I wouldn't have a year or two ago.

The poor pecan trees in the neighbor's yard with pecans still heavy and getting heavier with the ice. Hundreds of dollars worth of pecans, probably not worth 2 cents now. I would have shaken his trees and picked them up myself. It would have been a bumper crop. But I reaped the benefit of photos.

Our gas is probably the lowest in the country. I guess we saved around $200 this trip compared with last year's prices.

This shot was right by the gas price sign. If you noticed the previous photo, I can't imagine why a handicapped person would ever want to park there.


We had freezing rain today, then fluffy snow flakes, then more rain. I pulled out my 100 Macro lens for this. What I love about it, is the background.

We stopped at work to check on things last night and I was glad I had more than my iPhone with me. It was a challenge to hand hold this also. It's not the sharpest, but compared to the rest…. ISO 3200 18mm f/4 1/8 sec. I'm grateful for this shot because after all the ice today, half of the branches broke off. Very sad. It's a Desert Willow, too fragile for ice storms.

My favorite shot of all. Dove in Pecan Tree. Textured with kk_postale and a texture from 2 Lil Owls.

The skies were so white with low clouds that the geese flew low today and came in swarm after swarm. The near by golf course and lakes were just covered in geese.




Linking up with Kim for Texture Tuesday.

Kim Klassen {dot com}

17 comments:

  1. It is amazing how far reaching the cold and snow have been. We got dumped on overnight so I will be going out shortly to snow blow the driveway so I can get to the dentist today. Maybe I should just hibernate today instead :) Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow scenes are always to pretty, but I am sad to hear so many branches broke off that delicate tree. Love the dove on the tree branch, perfectly textured. Happy you saved money on the lower gas prices, and had a safe trip home. We got 5" of snow last night - hope to take some snow shots today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful shots! its easy to forgot how lovely nature can be when it is so cold and treacherous...the bird photo is the best...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love looking at your winter photos - lucky me - it's 80 degrees in SWFL today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some ice there Roxi no snow here very mild for the time of year and grey so grey. Enjoy your photography.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a winter wonderland and beautifully presented, Roxi. Seeing your little bird reminds me of how I watch our yard and bird feeder and feel so sorry for the little critters this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely set of wintery images. I love your last image - it is stunning! So surprised to see that you have snow in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely images, and I loved the geese. I will miss the geese here in Fl. Roxi, thanks for commenting so much on my blog. I had lost how to comment on yours and today figured it out. I saw one blogger today that had not blogged for a long time, but had been out of it for some time too. It is amazing to listen to people who go through the same things I do. I love deciduous trees in winter. The patterns are beautiful. I could take photos of those forever. Sorry to hear what the ice did. Hope it warms up soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely photos...especially the little bird. I will have to try your texture combo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your solo bird image! LOVE it! And the geese are music to my ears. Good for you getting out in the cold and shooting! Winter really is stunning, eh?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh. My. Gosh. I love that dove in the tree, just so sweet. Just once we had snow here 8 miles from the gulf and it was right after a hurricane. Last year I tried so hard when it got in the twenties to get a frozen bubble, and I want a snowflake picture so bad! lol It looks pretty, I just don't want to drive in it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Roxi ... oh my snow so far south? I adore you photo of the dove in the pecan tree! Sure hope the ice and snow do not last long for you!! stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love birds and digital art. :) Love the last image :)

    NatureFotostep at
    http://nfverk.blogspot.se/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful winter shots, and I too love that last image

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning winter shots ... I feel sad for the pecan tree ... but grateful for all the eye-candy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are all wonderful winter images :)
    And I also love the last one the most :))
    Have a fine day
    【ツ】Knipsa

    ReplyDelete
  17. The textured picture of the dove is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate all your comments. Have a blessed day!