Friday, October 25, 2013

Friday Finds October 25th


I found Bravery.
As a side note, I'm also realizing how much fear has had a foothold in my life.
In a recent trip to Fort Worth TX with hubby I had 2 full days to explore the city. On day 2, I tackled downtown for nearly 5 hours on foot. (Wished I had downloaded one of those pedometer apps.) I parked at the north end near the courthouse after attempting several parking meters that were out of order.
I found several awesome old buildings and here are 5 of them.

1. The Tarrant County Courthouse. This is one of the architectural masterpieces in Fort Worth. It opened in 1895 and the building was restored in 1983. The dome was restored in 2012. As you can see they are working on the windows and who knows what else on the west side.
We've driven past this beauty on occasion while visiting the area however, I had never walked by. As I snapped away I noticed a gentleman go inside. What a novel idea. I would be brave and go in too. Sorry, all inside photos are reserved for another post.
Canon 24-70mm, 1/1000 sec;   f/2.8;   ISO 100, Lightroom edit

2. The Flatiron Building. Located at the corner of Houston and West 9th. At the time of its completion in 1907 it was one of city's the first steel frame buildings and the tallest building in north Texas. A doctor had it built and his offices were on the top floor. An interesting tidbit: William Jenkins Worth, the man for whom the city of Fort Worth is named, is buried at the base of Manhattan's Flatiron Building, which inspired the design of the Fort Worth building. If you really want to know more about it check here. (I didn't try to go in this one.)
iPhone, Snapseed
The next three are HUGE old buildings that I always have thought were abandoned. They sit right next to each other and are right there on the north side of the highway as you travel down I-30.
3. The Texas Pacific Railway Passenger Terminal. Built in 1931 in the art deco style. My jaw literally dropped when I walked through those doors. (Have I peaked your interest yet?) It is now the Texas & Pacific Lofts with the passenger terminal area available to rent out for festivities.

iphone, Snapseed
 The entrance to the lofts.
Canon 24-70mm, 1/125, f6.7, Lightroom edit

4. The US Post Office. How about that? I seriously thought this was an abandoned building. It's right next to the Lofts and while I was in the parking lot, I noticed someone pull up, get out of her car and walk in the doors. That was my queue to follow. Amazing, another art deco interior with awesome ceilings and marble pillars.
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8, 1/750 sec;   f/6.7;   ISO 100, Lightroom edit
5. The Texas & Pacific Warehouse built in 1931. It's funny how the Post Office is in between it and the Passenger Terminal. It offered space for the storage, distribution, and refrigeration of produce and merchandise. Office and salesrooms were also available inside the building; thus, tenants could consolidate their warehouse and showrooms under one roof.  
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8, 1/500 sec;   f/8;   ISO 100, Lightroom edit
 It it very much abandoned now.
1/90 sec;   f/8;   ISO 250, Lightroom edit
If I had known I was going to obsess over these buildings, I would have done some research before going. There is a lot of art deco style downtown. I may have to plan a trip back when the colors are changing. I'll be posting interiors over the next few days.
Linking up with: 
Kim for Friday Finds
Helen for Weekend Walks
Have a great fall weekend!

9 comments:

  1. I love discovering big old buildings - the architecture is amazing! and go for you for venturing inside...can't wait to see what you discovered there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Architecture is one of my most favorite things to photograph! I especially love the first photo and the great coloring, along with the dome and awesome features. You captured a lot of buildings for the day. My curiosity would be indoors, and upclose also, so I'd be returning with a macro lens to get closeups of the details which, to me, are always stunning pieces of work. I'll be back to visit the inside! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truly inspiring post Roxi! Love your images and can't wait to get a look at the inside!
    Visiting from Friday Finds - http://cherylmccainphotography.com/autumn-spreads-this-splash-of-red/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roxi,
    Yeah for overcoming a fear and discovering some neat Fort Worth secrets. Looks like you had fun touring and discovering.

    It's fun to take pictures of interesting buildings. The Lofts is my 1st pick.

    Rain in our area is always a blessing. We don’t ever wish it away, but we do need to get some work done before we need anymore moisture. There are still areas of green grass and that is unheard of here. Hope your brother can get his crops harvested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a massive building to be abandoned. Can't wait to see the inside shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always love seeing different versions/edits of the Flat Iron Building. So cool!

    Yay for you being courageous -- not sure I would have been. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - these buildings are amazing. Each one has a unique story to tell. Can't wait to see your interior shots! Thanks for linking to my Weekend Walk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brave girl - Yay! And I mean it. I'm already thinking of where to go in Denver like this. I've no fear of encountering snakes and coyote on the mountain. But head downtown with its one-way streets and hectic pace and crowds. Well...you know.

    I hope you went inside the Flatiron Building. That one truly intrigues me.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate all your comments. Have a blessed day!